Monday, May 24, 2010

Afridi Ready for England Tour

Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi has made himself available for the Test tour of England after ending his self-imposed exile from the format.

Afridi, who captains his country in Twenty20 cricket, has not played a Test since 2006 and has spoken in the past of his unsuitability for the longer form of the game.

But he now looks set to put himself back in the frame in time to face England later this summer.

Afridi's decision will be a huge boost to a side who are currently without Mohammad Yousuf, Younus Khan, Shoaib Malik and Rana Naved-ul-Hasan, following a spate of suspensions by the Pakistan Cricket Board.

Afridi said: "It was a very hard decision for me because I have wanted to devote more time to my family and playing all forms of the sport all the year round has not been my cup of tea.

"That is why I avoided Test matches, but after speaking to my family I have decided to resume playing Test matches because it is the need of the time."

The 30-year-old is currently appealing against a fine imposed by the PCB for his bizarre attempts to bite a ball in a one-day match against Australia, an act that also earned him a two-match ban from the International Cricket Council.

No comments:

Post a Comment